Sunday, July 14, 2013

Off Track

My plans got a little sidetracked this week.  Not complaining.......just sayin'.

Love Grows did see some progress as it was easy to do a little mindless background hooking after I was too tired to do anything else.  Perhaps I will get close to completing the background this week.



With only a few showers this week, we were able to do some catching up in the yard and garden.  That, of course, meant more veggies to put up......including 6 quarts of soup mix.  This was a first for me, and I will be anxious to taste the results.  I used tomatoes, butter peas, okra and corn as my sweet grandmother, Mama, would have done.  As I sat on the back porch swing snapping beans and shelling peas, I was reminded of my childhood days on Mama and Papa's front porch in Alabama, surrounded by my aunts, mother and grandmother, listening to woman talk and preparing vegetables fresh from Papa's garden to put away for the winter.  Those memories are so precious and I am so thankful for them.  Those same dear women, each in their own way, introduced me to the world of "handwork", for which I am eternally grateful.



The Appalachian cap, mitten and scarf project will be a priority, as we only have until the beginning of August to get them done.  Short notice, but not impossible.  Diane has whipped up a whole bag full of caps and mittens.  She is so talented, and can knit and crochet with her eyes closed, I swear she can!!!  I  am considerably less talented, but have managed 3 caps and a scarf this past week.  This little yellow cap was finished tonight.



I honestly didn't think I had a stash of worsted weight yarns, but on the outside chance, I went upstairs and plundered through the tubs to check.  This is what I came up with.  My goal is for all of this to go out in finished form by the first of August.  I think that will be doable.



I got blocks 5 & 6 of Summer Blooms prepped, but didn't get either of the Words to Live By nor the Primitive Garden blocks done.  I also failed to get the quilt tops to the quilter.  Maybe this week............

GRATITUDES:
Precious memories of the women in my life.
Naturally curly hair.......never thought I would say that!!
Prayer.

Take care,
Jennie

3 comments:

  1. Your comment about sitting on the porch and snapping beans and thinking of your Mama and Grandma made me think of a quilt that Teddy Pruett made. I looked on her website and do not find the quilt. She is from Georgia originally and she made a quilt about how she used to sit on the porch with her relatives and and prepare the vegetables just like you mention. Are you familiar with her work? Here is a link to her website.
    http://www.teddypruett.com/page/page/2249363.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't familiar with her work, but sure enjoyed spending time at her website. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love the Love Grows sneak peek. It has come so far and looks wonderful. I have memories of sitting at my grandparents and shelling peas just as well. I love the little cap.


    My homepage | What is a Split-Site PhD

    ReplyDelete