Monday, March 29, 2021

Still in Shock


For those who haven’t seen it on the news, our county and the town of Newnan, was devastated by an E4 tornado just after midnight on Saturday morning. The 170 mph winds traveled on the ground for miles, demolishing structures and uprooting trees. Fortunately the community suffered only one death and a few people with relatively minor physical injuries.

A few pics of the damage, though photos cannot truly depict what the community is suffering.








Not a single building at Newnan HS was spared damage.

These kids had just gone back to school two weeks ago. Now they have no school.

The response in the community has been amazing. So many people from so many places here to help. We are blessed despite the tragedy.




Here is Macy’s cheer squad at their cheer banquet on Thursday night.

And here is what remains of that church building on Saturday morning.


I want to thank everyone who checked on us the past few days. We were blessed to be spared. We retreated to the basement with all four dogs, and the radar showed the tornado right over our little Dresden community (6 miles west of Newnan). The tornado actually hit down about a mile away. My girls and their families, who live in Newnan, were also spared as the tornado ripped through Newnan east of their homes. 

I would ask you to please keep this community and all of those others devastated by this tornado, in your prayers. The fallout from all of this will not be mended for a very long time.

Take care,
Jennie

12 comments:

  1. Oh Jennie, how so terrible that your community got hit so strongly by this tornado. I'm glad that your family were spared. The strength of nature is something that we have to take seriously.

    Here we usually have been having devastating floods lately. We were lucky last year that we were spared but we had two devastating floods two years in a row. It takes so long to get over it and to rebuilt.

    My heart goes out to your community.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for Coweta County. How sad to see all the destruction but having only lost one life is nothing short of a miracle. I must say, though, I am thankful you and your family were safe. It had to be terrifying.
    My heart breaks for the students who were finally having a bit of "normal" in their lives.
    How wonderful the community is coming together to help. We always hear the bad...wonderful to hear the good in people.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful, Jennie. School was let out early last week because of tornado warning. Fortunately we were spared. My prayers do go out to all those affected. So glad you are safe. Have a very blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie I'm so saddened by the news that hit anywhere, let alone a friend. Had heard there were tornado's and even a threat here and I hardly slept that night hoping to not hear the sound of a 'train'. Am totally aware of the power of wind because a no tornado but straight line winds took down two huge trees in my yard near the house but not on the house a couple years ago.

    Am praying for your community and thank GOD you and your family are safe. Am sure the community will join together in prayer and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tornadoes are horrific!! Been relatively close but never affected personally. I remember many years ago (2013) driving through Moore, OK and seeing VERY clearly the HUGE path of destruction caused by the EF5 with 210 MPH winds that tore through. They are SO SCARY and the flattening of everything in their path is astonishing. Prayers are with those affected there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie I had not heard about Newnan as I have been focused on Birmingham. My home town of Chatsworth was hit last Easter and the people there are still recovering a year later. I am just praying that supplies can be found to do all the repairs that are needed by the people affected by tornados.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jennie! So very sorry to read of this..... No, I had not heard the news (I've been living under a rock of late) and likely would not have connected the dots as I only know the state you are in, not the area. So glad you and your family came through ok, but how terrible for your community. You are right, it will be a long, long, time before you recover. And even when buildings are rebuilt, etc., the damage still always is "visible." We live in an area that is frequented by tornados and there is a swath of missing and broken trees across the road from us that reminds me how close we came one year to being in one's direct path. Praying for healing and comfort for your community... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, I'm so sorry, though grateful that you and your family are safe! What devastation. I haven't watched the news for a a few days so didn't know. Prayers for all of you and those in Newnan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about what your community went through and so grateful you were spared. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your community. I remember in the 60's a tornado ripping through our community. No one was expecting it because it came from the East and all storms except that one come from the West. Many folks died. It does seem though that when a crisis occurs, the community does come together. Prayers for everyone who was affected. So glad you and your family are safe. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Jennie... I was in California for most of the past month and hadn't been able to check on blogs. I'm so very sorry to read about this tornado--what devastation. I can't really imagine as we don't get tornadoes up north in Pennsylvania. The mere mention of them terrifies me. I'm relieved that you and your family were spared and I hope and pray your community recovers with lots of helping hands. Take care now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saddened to read your post Jennie and relieved you and your family were spared.

    ReplyDelete