Friday, March 8, 2013

Ronnie the Rooster & Weaving

This afternoon the flock had a nice opportunity to free range the garden while John and Blake worked on the raised beds.  The neighbors have a new rooster, and he and Ronnie have been engaging in a lot of conversation.  I was able to catch him in action on my phone.  He is such a man :-)) (Click on the little arrow to see the video).




I am pretty excited.....I finally warped the table loom all by myself!!!! Honestly, I have had this huge roadblock to doing this. Not quite sure why except that I have struggled .....even with my teachers' help. There always seemed to be some kind of problem. Perhaps that was a blessing because it forced me to learn a lot about what not to do and how to fix mistakes.  This past weekend I pulled out some not so favorite yarn (just in case I ruined it) and went for it. Mind you, the scarf warp was only 72 ends ( about 7" x 72"), but all went well and I am merrily weaving this simple plain weave scarf. Maybe I am on my way over the fear hump. Next to warp the Macomber....a bit larger challenge!

This picture doesn't do the colors in the yarn justice.  The warp is a variegated purple, and the weft a pretty soft gray with some tiny metallic flecks.  It is quite soft.  I am hoping it will have a nice drape.


This is towel #3 of my Spring Twill towel series that are on the loom at Ann Lynn's.  This one reminds me of a daffodil.




GRATITUDES:
Planning the spring garden.
A crowing rooster, caring for his girls.
The flickering flame of a fragrant candle.
God winks.

Take care,
Jennie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna,

    I live in Alabama and just found your neat blog! This post made me want to get my loom out so bad! I bought a weaving loom in a wonderful fiber shop 16 years ago in the mountains of Georgia.

    I love the name of your blog....it describes me :))

    Blessings,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where in AL are you? We are near Alabama from a couple of directions. There is a lovely shop in Opelika with weaving, knitting and spinning.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jennie
      I live about an hour north of Birmingham. There used to be a weaving group at Oak Mountain in Birmingham at the state park.
      I lived in New Hampshire during the 1980's and a friend there was a wonderful weaver. Some of her coverlets were featured in Early American Life magazine. She called dresses "frocks" and was also a great herb gardener. She and her husband had a contest each year to see how long they could go without using the furnace to heat their house. Their old house was over 2 hundred years old and drafty. I enjoy reading your posts!
      Blessings,
      Diane

      Delete