Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday again......

Last week was full of activity, but today I have a chance to slow down and do a few things that I have put off......like blogging.

Last Tuesday my weaving class took a field trip to Mo-Purl in Auburn, AL.  There they make lovely yarns for weaving and knitting.  Bob, the owner, welcomed us and allowed us to wander about, perusing boxes and boxes of all kinds of yarns.  In the end, he assisted us with our purchases.  I didn't exactly know what I was looking for, being so new in this weaving business, however, I didn't have any trouble finding a few cones of things I liked.    The yarn in the basket is an interesting texture, a gift from Diane.  The unwrapped cones were ordered from Yarn Barn, the wrapped ones from Mo-Purl.  A girl has to have a stash, you know.


On Thursday, I started a BOM, Kisses from Your Beloved,  at Sewn with Luv.  Our teacher, Nettie, turned out to be someone I knew from the Emmaus community, which made it even more special.  The class uses a fancy ruler from Square in a Square to make piecing these blocks simpler.  I really like the fabrics they have chosen......it is hard to appreciate them in this photo.


Thursday night involved some babysitting activities with two of the grands, and on Friday night we  went to see Macy perform in her school's Lip Synch Night.  Hope to have photos on that later.

On Saturday morning it was time to do something with that over-ripe banana that was languishing in the bowl on the kitchen counter...........Banana nut muffins!


A bigger challenge for Saturday was completing the last of the fourth set of Just Takes 2 Blocks (four different reds, three backgrounds, all from stash).  The members of PFA Yahoo group had given me some good advice for making the foundation pieced blocks, and it served me well.  In addition, I set up a little trimming and pressing station at my sewing machine.......now this might seem like common sense to you, but I had avoided doing it because I think that it is good to get up and move about when stitching.  But with so many cuts and so much pressing with the foundation piecing, I bit the bullet.  I had purchased the miniature Dritz iron quite some time ago, and never tried it out.......it is GREAT!!!  It even has steam.  All that being said, the blocks were still a challenge..........and the main block for the next two week period makes me cringe.  I am wondering if I am in over my head.



I had the urge to knit a little yesterday.  Let me say, I am not a proficient knitter, but I enjoy an easy project.  Before Christmas I gathered all of my dishcloth yarn together thinking that I would use it all up, depleting a large chunk of my small knitting stash (yes, it is my only "small" stash and there is quite a bit of sock yarn waiting in it).  I made about seven dish and face cloths and set it aside.  I am left with a couple of full balls and lots of odds and ends, which is really fine for what I am doing.  I have made a lot of different face and dish cloths, but I found my favorite dishcloth pattern for free at Homespun Living Blog.  It is simple, attractive and wears well.  Thanks, Homespun Living!!


This is the second block in Over the Meadow, my BOM challenge.  I really like these blocks and will be happy to have this quilt done at the end of the year.  It is so whimsical.....the blocks just make me smile.


GRATITUDES:

Finding joy in the little things of life.
Watching the grandchildren grow up and become "real people", each with such distinct personalities.
Girl time with my daughters.
The music of the wind chimes on the back deck.

Take care,
Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment