Friday, September 3, 2021

Hello Again

Yes, I am trying to up the ante on posting, so here we go. 

Hope none of you have been adversely affected by the storms and rain. We had some wind and about five inches of rain, but nothing to speak of compared to other parts of the country. 

Since “crotchiting” SA’s bag, I have been in the mood for more crochet. Nothing fancy, mind you. But my friend, Laura, and I made fall pumpkins. 

They were fun and relatively easy….which is my skill level. I guess that crochet was the first needleart skill I learned. My step grandmother taught me at age ten, though I don’t remember crocheting much more than a chain at that point. 

I had bought this pattern and the aqua fabric for it at a Hook In many years ago. The other day, I pulled it out and started it. The pattern called for a quilt like setting with borders and fall leaves, but that didn’t much appeal to me. I had all of these circles for pennies that I had purchased at the same Hook In, so I started adding them and thought it provided a touch of whimsy. 

I have a plan for finishing, which hopefully will happen sooner rather than later. 

I had stitched this Quaint Lady (from the Dyeing to Stitch club) last year and just never finished it off. Sent this one off to Faye, and I love the finishing and will now enjoy it all Fall.


Ever since Lisa (@frenzy fingers on Instagram) invited me to join her to stitch #redthreadwithafriend, I have made good progress on Louisa Coulimore by Hands Across the Seas Samplers. The plan is to stitch at least one thread a day on a red sampler in order to steadily move forward on it.
Let me tell you, it has worked!! Since July 13, I have moved from 2 rows finished to 13!!! This was where I started…

And this is last night, as I am starting row 14!!! This is a reproduction of a Bristol Orphan Sampler. They have a very interesting history which you can read about here https://www.bristolsamplers.com/ .

Jackson’s team won the local Flag Football championship for their age group in our county. 

This will be his last year playing, which makes me a little sad. At twelve he is already taller than my 5’4”.

Where does the time go??


Take Care,
Jennie

10 comments:

  1. Happy Friday, Jennie. I am loving your crocheted pumpkins and your wool applique is so stinking cute. Great tip on stitching a thread a day on a sampler . I do have some that I need to move along. I will try that. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute trio of pumpkins, Jennie! Makes me wish I knew how to crochet. Love the piece Faye finished for you, too. I've heard of that stitching idea to just do one strand a night! For a monochromatic piece that would work great--will have to give it a try. Enjoy your long weekend--Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you trying to send me in to cardiac arrest...lol?
    All your projects are just wonderful!!! Wish I could crochet...love the pumpkins. Sweet applique, and that redwork sampler...be still my heart.
    HOW ON EARTH DO YOU ACCOMPLISH SO MUCH???
    I was going to comment that Jackson looked taller than you (wasn't sure if it was just the perspective), but you beat me to it.
    Keep up the good work and inspire the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Jackson! I so want to crochet some pumpkins. Keep seeing them everywhere. Yours are nice! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crocheted pumpkins are just so darn cute and so is the appliqué cat on the pumpkin. and the cross stitch. The stitch one thread a day is similar to rug hook 10 minutes a day and it really works. Once the hook is in the hand, 10 minutes turns to half an hour.

    Congratulations to your grandson on winning the championship with his team. He looks so proud, and yes, he's tall for his age and still lot of growing to do.

    Take care and keep on stitching.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pumpkins look like advanced crochet to me (not as advanced as a sweater, but still advanced).
    The finish and framing on your Quaint Lady are beautiful.
    One thread a day is a great plan! It will be beautiful. It's interesting to see so many fonts (I think I count 5 uppercase) on one sampler. Is there any history about the person who made the original, her age, where she lived, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm thinking it's a dang good thing you are posting more regularly...you NEED to in order to keep pace with your accomplishments... YIKES!! Those crochit pumpkins are adorable...but I am in serious love with that redwork piece. Absolutely beautiful!! I had been eyeing up "Old Stationary" for a project moving to the top of my dance card and now you've sealed the deal...now to find it.... Seems like once I finally decide I want a given linen it is no where to be found LOL. Happy Weekend! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that quote about growing old. Every time I look in the mirror I am a bit shocked. your pumpkins are wonderful and you stitching amazing. I just do not have the eyes for it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hand work is lovely! Congrats to Jackson and grandparents are sure proud of him. Nice picture!

    ReplyDelete