Friday, July 10, 2020

A Quick Hello

Hi, guys. It has been busy around here, but I wanted to take a minute for a quick post.

This time of year is always hectic when you have a garden and lots of nice veggies to preserve for the coming months. It is no exception here. Our garden is doing well and we have been blessed by enough fresh veggies to share, eat and preserve. So far we have frozen squash and loaves of delicious zucchini bread (I won’t tell you how many loaves we’ve consumed). And we have canned green beans (just don’t like them frozen), dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, blueberry jelly, pepper jelly, and sweet pepper relish. Tomorrow we are doing salsa and tomato paste. And I hope that next week we are able to get fresh peaches.
Here are a few jars of our bounty....


One sleepless night this week I was able to pull up the last loops on The Reader (pattern by Sharon Smith, teacher Anita White).....too many years ago.

The wallpaper background is a dark green stripe, which really doesn’t show up in the photo. I opted out on the airplanes that were on the pattern.  I changed the pup to one of our schnauzers, Roxie, who passed away 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 17 3/4!  I will have to order yarn and whip the edges of this one since the top edge has loops all the way across on the vertical. 

Next it is on to Solomon’s Delight (by Diane Gill, class with Tricia Travisa couple of years ago). I took this one to tweak a bit at Eric’s class last February and then put it away...again. 

I really lack very little on it and can hopefully call it a finish sooner than later. 

Next in the cross stitch arena is Bird in Hand by Blackbird Designs. Just started this one using WDW Merlot, 2 strands over 2 on a scrap of 36 ct linen. 

I love designs with birds, especially when they are redwork. 

I have also picked up a BBDs Christmas sampler that I started last fall,  in honor of Jolly July on IG. No pic of it just yet.

Like most of you, I have tired of this strange day to day living that we are doing. Not having an idea of what our world will be like tomorrow is a stark reminder that WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL. And that is difficult especially for those of us who want and need some modicum of control. I pray that you are faring well through all of this craziness, and are healthy. 

Couldn’t say it better....

Take care,
Jennie

4 comments:

  1. I think the airplane wallpaper would have detracted from the design. And do understand that activity in the background is a signature of Sharon Smith. Wonderful job on Roxie and the rest of the rug. The floral will be beautiful too when finished.
    Oh my, quite a bounty you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth do you get so much done? I'd be impressed with just your stitching and hooking...but all that canning, too? WOW!
    The Reader is just too sweet...especially since you hooked your Roxie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that ya'll have a great garden. We messed around and didn't get ours going between the rains and late frosts. We built a few raised beds that I still have to fill up and I hope we have a few fall veggies. Your bread and butter pickles sound wonderful. And the pepper jelly and zucchini bread. I just pulled out Merry christmas BBD chart too and was thinking of stitching it for jolly july. I stated one of the Prairie school Santas but don't like the cloth so I may start it over. I absolutely adore The Reader. Especially with Roxie in it. So sweet. And the floral one is going to be beautiful too ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your preserves look yummy. I'm not much of canner (probably because I'm not much of a gardener -- too many contact allergies).
    Oh how I love your "The Reader." I've seen a similar pen and ink illustration or perhaps a print and loved it, but yours is too wonderful because you put your own Roxie in it. What a treasure.
    The colors you chose for Solomon's Delight are beautiful together.
    I am tired of these Covid days, too, but grateful that we are all still healthy.

    ReplyDelete